Monday, October 18, 2021

Term 4, Day 1

It has honestly felt like a massive failure of a day. The first day of Term 4, I think I expected too much of myself and tried to do too much. 


Our little man had been asking to go to the skate park since the beginning of lockdown, two months ago. We go there, finally. It was nice and quiet and we had some lovely moments on the playground while waiting for another family to vacate the skate park. The first thing our little man did at the skate park was sit on his scooter and roll down a slope, scraping his elbow in the process. The plaster we had was not large enough for the minor scrape on his arm. Just like that, it was pretty much game over. 

Maybe the best part of the outing was going to pick up pies for lunch. Yum. 


I'd planned an art activity, a science activity, and some computer time for the afternoon. The science activity went well, and the rest....hmmm.


It is 3pm and the children are outside in the sunshine with the neighbours' children. They've brought our box of pretend food out and a lively noise floats into the house. 


The husband always tells me that "less is more". Perhaps the children do best when left to orchestrate their own activities, and they definitely do best when taken off the screens. 

My neighbour later related this to me:

Little man: I scraped my arm at the skate park today.
Her: It must have been painful. Ouch!
Little man: My mum helped me feel better.
Her: I'm sure she took good care of you and made you feel better.
Little man: Yup. She always takes good care of me.

Perhaps the day wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was.

I'll do better tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment