Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Dates With Mum & Dad.

My friend and I are reclined in deck chairs, enjoying the summer breeze and lazily watching our children running energetically and speeding belly-first down the water slip n' slide in their backyard. She turns to me and asks, "Do your children still want to go out on dates with you and J?" Having fielded questions from the children about plans for our parent/child dates just this afternoon, my reply is an emphatic "yes"! I hear from her that her children, at 8 and 10, don't want to go on cafe dates with her anymore. I also recently heard something similar from a friend whose child is turning 10. 

Our children love the parent/child dates and I'm grateful, as I'm aware that this won't necessarily be the case forever. After we dropped our older children at their friends', the husband and I took the opportunity to have a little one-on-one time with our younger children. The husband and the little lady made a trip to the dairy for snacks and walked home after. The little man and I went to Carls Jr (a second trip in two days for me), to have fries and a milkshake. Going to see if we can make sure all the children get their parent/child dates before school starts in a week. 



she picked up a box of candy to share with her siblings.


What about husband/wife dates? Today, I announced to the children that I'd be taking dad out for breakfast and leaving them home on their own. The oldest ones got it immediately, and as I balanced a tray of sandwiches and coffee and walked out the front door, I heard our big boy telling his siblings that they'd get grilled cheese if they stayed inside and let mum + dad have breakfast in the front yard by ourselves. Breakfast was lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment