Monday, October 9, 2023

Term Break Reflections.

The holidays were memorable for a couple of reasons. First, the children dove headlong into sewing machine fever and some days saw them jostling for a turn at the machine. Unbelievable. (Granny's idea for me to teach them.) They all had a go and made some pretty cool things like little shoulder bags and pillowcases. Our big girl loved it so much she wants to keep doing this during the term. I, with my rudimentary skills, will endeavour to guide her and learn as we go. 

It's taken me awhile, but this holiday was also a turning point of sorts and a milestone in my settling down in New Zealand. Instead of waiting for my village to find me and for people to invite us into their circles, I finally decided to bite the bullet and take the step to find our people. I finally decided that my humble cooking abilities and our home, mess and all, were enough. There's a certain vulnerability and authenticity about inviting people to our homes, and that's where a real being-with has the chance to happen.

I invited a couple of families over for a meal and fellowship. We ended up catching up with a few more families along the way. It was tiring for sure, but meaningful. It was lovely to watch the children also connecting with their friends and building relationship.

Each term break, I endeavour to build in opportunities to rest, cultivate new experiences and build friendships..Up till recently it's been a stronger focus on the children's friends. I'm glad that this term break turned out the way it did. 

We're halfway through the first week of term and I'm already knackered. It always takes awhile to get back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment