Thursday, April 7, 2022

A Storm in the Store.

The little man had a really hard time today because of a Pokemon plushie he wanted to buy but I'd said "no" to. He ran quite comically away from me, wailing, and I went to pay for my items. 

The cashier raised an eyebrow and smiled when she figured out what was going on. "No biggie", her look said. We got to chatting about her son who is now 23. It's amazing how the parenting experience is such a universal one, no matter how old your child is. There is always a story to tell that another parent will nod emphatically to and understand instantly. 

I caught up with my little man who was still holding onto the soft toy. He really wanted it, but I couldn't possibly reward the behaviour by buying it for him (it had crossed my mind for just a split second! Don't roll your eyes, husband!). I gave him a choice between returning it himself, or having me return it for him. I finally helped him choose the latter and carried him out of the store.

I think recognising that tantrums are developmentally appropriate is half the battle won. The other half is... Maybe in knowing when reason and choice won't work and when it's just time to help them out with a gentle but firm "I'm going to return the toy for you and I'm going to carry you out of the store with me."

He didn't fight me when I returned the toy and carried him out. He found new delight in a coinslot helicopter ride and didn't talk about the toy again. 

In the moment at the store, it was an overwhelming situation for him and understandably difficult. It was just an interesting situation to reflect on and realise he also probably melted down because of the poor sleep he'd had last night. I wonder if the tantrum was more about the state of mind and less about the toy itself. 

We spent a good part of the day with the Stamilla family, and the young ones got in some good play time. It's been too long since we'd last seen them and the little ones are all not so little anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment