Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Bought vs Homemade

Yesterday, I paid $5 for a loaf of "tear and share" bread from Countdown supermarket as a quick afternoon tea for hungry tummies.

While it tasted good, I was convinced I could replicate it for less. I cobbled together a loaf with a basic dough recipe, homemade BBQ Sauce, homegrown tomatoes, salami and cheese I had on hand. 

I charred the top slightly while trying to get a golden brown finish but otherwise was quite a success. The husband happily ate the charred bits and declared them the best part! 

A hearty bite that fed more people than the supermarket loaf did. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out! I suppose I ultimately pay for the time spent; 5 minutes of effort (in and out of the store) vs a couple of hours from scratch. I do believe there is a time and place for both options. 

Now to experiment with toppings for future loaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment