Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Lockdown Day 8.

The self-donative nature of parenthood truly comes to the fore in lockdown, as we manage the daily demands of the household (laundry, cleaning, cooking), the children's needs and their schoolwork. So much is asked of us, but there are also countless opportunities to show love. A part of me recognises how blessed I am to be able to give this much of myself to my family and provide stability in this time. 

The novelty of lockdown is wearing off and we are settling into a fairly steady routine. Our work/play balance seems to be a good one: we generally work in the morning and reserve the afternoon for play. 

Gratefully, our days are marked by prayer. We start the day with morning prayer, gather at noon for the Angelus, and finish the day with night prayer. Grace before meals peppers the time in between. The Angelus is a new addition and the children have picked it up quickly. They take turns to lead us in the Angelus each afternoon.

As much as we are called to give to our children, I am learning that we cannot cover their every need. Our big girl was chatting with her godma this evening, delighted to see her as she's missed her. She mentioned in passing that she has been bored during lockdown. 

My own mothering instinct responded by feeling there must be something I'm missing, for her to feel this way. Such conflict, as I also, at the same time believe that boredom is good, underrated, and the root of much creativity. 

This episode became a good reminder that I'm not called to be all things to my children. I cannot replace everything that lockdown has taken away. I just need to do my best and trust it is enough. Work in progress. 

Folding paper planes with Nanogirl during a live episode this afternoon. 

Finished product! Yes, that's a plane. 

Painting the house with washable cornflour paint (1tbs cornflour: 2tbs water plus food colouring)

Don't forget the windows!

Safe space (for two). 

No comments:

Post a Comment