Friday, May 28, 2021

Changing Gears.

It has been awhile since I've written about kindergarten; that's because we've quit kindy. It was hard to hear the little man's teary resistance to being left there. "I cry because you leave me at kindy," was his teary refrain each evening. I dug deep and realised that it IS okay for a 3 year old to want to be with mum. As a slightly more seasoned parent, I've come to realise that they will separate comfortably when they're ready to, and not before. They just need time. 

So, no kindergarten. Instead, we've joined Play Centre. It's just down the street from us and fits our needs quite nicely. It's two mornings a week, which gives us time to create our own adventures on the other days. It's basically an early childhood centre run by parents: parents form the main educators for the children (I will be taking up free Play Centre courses to equip myself for the role), and play/teach/learn alongside their children. As an added bonus, it's a little community of parents and children that we become a part of. We've had three visits so far and the people have been welcoming and down-to-earth so far. 

Our little lady and little man have enjoyed our visits there. They interact freely with other children their age, have access to a wide range of toys and resources, and get to be together all the time. We start proper next week, and I'm looking forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment