Monday, January 30, 2023

Grateful Ramblings of a Mum @ Home.

Several hours ago, the Ministry of Education made the announcement that all schools were to be shut for a week, until the 7th of February. The decision was made in a bid to minimise the impact of traffic on a road infrastrucutre that was already weakened by recent flooding. More rain and flood damage is also expected.  School was supposed to begin tomorrow. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that when our neighbour tapped on the window and mouthed the news, I exclaimed and jumped for joy. I loved that I'd have the children home for another week!

It was only after the news sunk in that I realised that 1) Few other parents shared my joy, and 2) The ministry had made the decision without informing school principals and the schools were left scrambling to either figure out more information or make quick-fire plans for online learning or closure. 

I felt upset at the lack of communication between the Ministry and school leadership. It bothered me a great deal, perhaps because I'd had higher expectations of the Ministry. 

I thought a little more, and realised I also was processing the way my reaction seeemd to be a complete opposite of many other parents. "I need to get paid this week", or "we've already had 6 weeks of this", was what I heard. 

I'm incredibly grateful that the husband and I have intentionally built a family that allows me to be home. We can fully enjoy our children, unencumbered. We don't have a huge amount of money but we always have enough. In exchange, I can be home with the children all the time and these disruptions don't affect us. Our children's education has always been our responsibility, and it is something that happens daily, whether or not school goes on. The husband often says that he works outside the home so that I don't have to. He is quick to rip into anyone who so much as implies the work I do is less because I don't get paid for it. I'm grateful that he sees the immeasurable value of what I do and what we are doing together. 

It's humbling to realise that we are now reaping the happy fruits of the big and small decisions made along the way in raising our family. We live in a society that often sees children as a burden or a commodity. We've created a little family that is perhaps quite countercultural for these times, and that's pushed us to keep our eyes and hearts on what's most important and seek that out wholeheartedly. 

So yes, on the tail end of the day, it looks like our summer holiday has just been extended by a week. 

Whee!

Our prayers also continue for those affected by the floods, as well as those involved in the rescue and relief efforts. 

Enjoying a board game with my favourite people earlier today




No comments:

Post a Comment