Thursday, February 10, 2022

Political Ramblings.

There is a parliamentary bill looking to pass a law banning conversion therapy in New Zealand. At its most severe, the law could potentially see parents prosecuted for affirming biology in their child undergoing gender identity issues. It passed its second reading in parliament yesterday. I'm no longer hopeful it will be rejected (conversion therapy is likely to be banned in future, along with possibly faith-based prayer/counselling and parental input), but I'm glad the MP for our electorate was 1 of just 7 who voted against the Bill.

I wrote him an email thanking him for standing up for like-minded parents and families. When the bill was in its initial stages, I contributed a submission opposing the bill. I don't think I've ever taken any interest in political issues while in Singapore. Being here in New Zealand has changed that somewhat. 

The socially liberal, progressive leanings of New Zealand society have certainly challenged me to be more vocal and deliberate about what I value and stand up for. There is something about direct opposition that really makes one think. 

It's a lonely road to walk, though; Christian values are not popular these days. Yet, hope springs eternal.

In a country with one of the world's most extreme abortion laws, I might not be able to do much, but I'm determined to speak truth where I can and support those who fight the good fight. Some things, like biology, don't change with the times, although some people will have you believe otherwise. For the future our children will inherit, every little bit counts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment